Monday, March 30, 2009

Drink local water

I've been a local water snob since I lived in New York City. My friend David Grinstead, bartender at the Four Seasons and Algonquin, taught me to ask for "a glass of Croton Reservoir," please. Sounds better than just plain old tap water, doesn't it?

Here in the Bay Area I guess we'd have to call it "a glass of Hetch Hetchy", not quite as catchy.

Anyway, the NY Times reports that access to good drinking water in public schools can help fight obesity.

I know people who will claim that you need to filter your water for all kinds of reasons. Look, my brother has a Ph.D. in water quality and is one of the foremost experts on the subject in the state of California. He defined the mercury load for the San Francisco Bay. He told me to go ahead and drink our tap water unfiltered.

And now we see it prevents obesity? Okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment